We work very closely with a number of professionals, including fishing guides, a recognized bird-watching guide (click here for more information about world class bird watching at the J bar L), a geologist and a full-service pack-and-guide business in Southwest Montana that is licensed and insured to operate with horses and mules. Take advantage of some of the most famous fly-fishing trout streams and rivers, including the Beaverhead, Big Hole, Madison and Ruby Rivers.
“Working Ranch” guest packages include all on-ranch activities such as horseback riding, cattle drives, fixing fence, taking mineral supplements to the cattle, range monitoring, etc. All other guests (i.e. Rental Home and Group Event packages) can add these activities to their ranch stay ala-carte. Likewise, Working Ranch guests can add any area activities and services to their package.
Rodeos in Dillon (85 miles) during August and Labor Day weekend make for fun entertainment. It’s an easy drive to the beautiful Big Hole Valley and a 3.5 hour drive to lively Bozeman, Montana, which has a variety of cultural activities.
During your stay, you are free to explore on your own or simply sit back and enjoy the incredible views of the Centennial Mountains, Lima Peaks, and the Madison, Gravelly and Snowcrest Mountain Ranges bordering the J Bar L Ranch.
- Horseback riding
- Wildlife Viewing and bird-watching adventures
- Famous fly fishing – available on several near-by waters (off ranch)
- Sunset walks and nature walks with a geologist
- Observing the natural training of our horses
- Biking and hiking
- Cards and board games
- Yellowstone National Park
- Grand Teton National Park
- Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge
- Beaverhead National Forest
- Rodeo in Dillon (Labor Day only, 85 miles)
- Rodeo in Ennis (4th of July)
- Fourth of July Parade in Lima (37 miles)
- History tours of the Lewis and Clark Trail, ghost towns and battlefields
- Guided backcountry horse pack trips